One of the biggest trends in security gates in recent years has been the use of solar powered gate openers. Solar powered gate openers operate just like traditional gate openers. But they have one key difference: they operate using the energy generated by the sun. And while solar powered gate openers have many benefits, you need to keep a few things in mind when determining whether or not solar powered gate openers are right for you. Let’s take a look at the benefits and the keys to keep in mind.
Benefits of a Solar Powered Gate Opener
1. Lower cost of operation. One of the most immediate benefits is that it costs a lot less to operate a solar powered gate opener. These gate openers use the sun’s energy to create the electricity needed to open and close the gate. As a result, you are no longer paying your local power company for the electricity, which reduces the operational cost.
2. Less impact on the environment. When you use solar energy to power your gate opener, you are reducing your impact on the environment. More than likely, your local power company generates its electricity from burning coal or nuclear power. Both of these can negatively impact the environment. The sun’s rays, by contrast, do not have a harmful impact on the environment, which means that solar powered gate operators can be ecologically helpful.
3. Solar Powered gate openers are becoming more affordable. The cost to manufacture photovoltaic (PV) panels has come down considerably in recent years. And since PV panels are a key component of a solar powered gate opener, these systems much more affordable than they were even a few years ago.
But while the benefits of solar powered gate openers are good, you need to determine whether or not a solar powered gate opener is the right fit for your security gate needs. When Secure Access Services works with customers that are interested in solar powered gate openers, we ask the following three questions to help them make their decision.
How to Determine if a Solar Powered Gate Opener is Right for You
1. Do you have 8 hours of unobstructed daylight each day? Solar powered gate openers require sunlight. Lots of sunlight. In fact, you’ll need at least 8 hours of unobstructed sunlight each day so the gate opener can collect enough energy to function. If your home and your security gate are surrounded by a lot of trees, you may not have enough sunlight. If that’s the case, you likely won’t be able to install a solar powered gate opener.
2. How many times will you need to open and close the security gate each day? Solar powered gate openers typically have enough energy to open and close the security gate 8-10 times each day. This may not be a problem for many residential security gates. But if you need to open and close the gate frequently, you may need to look for a different gate opener solution.
3. Are you prepared for the extra maintenance costs associated with a solar powered gate opener? If you install a solar powered gate opener, you become your own little power company. This means that you are now responsible for maintaining the photovoltaic (PV) panels that generate the electricity. You’ll also need to keep the shrubs and trees near the PV panels cut back so they do not block the sunlight.
If you are interested in solar powered security gate openers, we strongly recommend working with a knowledgeable gate opener installer that can help you navigate the process. This will ensure that you maximize the benefits of a solar powered gate opener while avoiding the pitfalls.
Need Help With a Solar Powered Gate Opener?
Secure Access Services has helped many homeowners install and maintain solar powered gate openers for their residential security gates. If you are interested in a solar powered gate opener, give us a call in our Raleigh, NC office at (919) 773-8889 or use our form to request a free quote. We’ll be glad to talk with you and help you with your solar powered gate opener project.